Camren Williams Week 3

This was a busy week with many new introductions. On Monday I went to the CMREC - Clarksville Facility to shadow a meeting with Xuan Wei. I was introduced to her current project of data surveying that I will be participating in as well as why it is needed with agriculture. I also met Stacy Small-Lorens who gave me and my mentor a tour of the facility and shared her project of trying to find efficient methods for soil respiration that are also cost effective. 

Figure 1. (CMREC - Clarksville Facility meeting and Tour)

On Tuesday I visited The Seaberry farm with Xuan Wei and another intern, Alexandra . The owners of the farm were welcoming and friendly. We toured their farm, took many pictures and left with a souvenir, which was a cluster of bok choy. An interesting fact, The Seaberry farmers sell flowers for weddings as another source of income.

 

Figure 2. (Seaberry farm tour with  Xuan Wei and Alexandra)

For the rest of the weekday I was on a Campus Research Tour at the University of Maryland, College Park where I got to meet the rest of the new interns in person and be introduced to other branches of extinction. I got to meet Darren H Jarboe who was the most inspiring person that I met. He gave me great insights into what he does, what I could do with hydrology, and mentioning that he has relations with someone in the category of business that I am interested in for grad school. 

Figure 2. (Seaberry farm tour with  Xuan Wei and Alexandra)

Figure 3. UMD on-campus barns and stables)

While being at the campus for research and tours we also participated in workshops based on leadership and team building.  The leadership workshops with Antonio Silas and Myles Alexander strengthen my ideas about leadership by expressing that leadership can become difficult for the people making the discussions. Trying to create a space for everyone's safety and need while also trying to make things as efficient as possible. Before the workshops my idea of leadership was a group or individual that had good discernment with making decisions for the good of others while also considering others perspectives before making any other moves. I believe my leadership style is democratic. I would prefer others to be okay with sharing their ideas and inputs because even if that idea is not put to use immediately it is in the air that there are other options that might have not been considered.  One major thing that I took from this that I can practice during my internship was to share my opinions anyway because as stated that some ideas might have not been considered as well as people from different backgrounds will have different perspectives than you do. 


Comments