Camren Williams

 “Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom,” a quote made by George Washington

Carver, an agricultural scientist and inventor. With the word education meaning the process of acquiring knowledge, skills, values, and character traits, this is me actively making sure I do just that. My name is Camren, and I'm a student at the University of Maryland, Eastern Shore, majoring in general agriculture. I am an aspiring hydrologist with interests in hydroponics, technology, and global business, with the goal of getting experience in different agriculture-related fields to have a deeper understanding of what I would like to do after graduation.


I am currently working at the University of Maryland Extension under the mentorship of Neith Little in the Baltimore County location, where I will be helping with projects such as rainwater harvesting, specialty crop market research, and  aquaponic farming. With my internship being with Extension, I will learn about general things within agriculture and business as well, being able to participate in hands-on workshops, farm visits, and developing educational and promotional materials. The University of Maryland Extension (UME) provides educational programs to all that were created to solve problems and encourage research. With the help of Neith, I will be able to create new relationships, contribute to agriculture-related conversations, and explore public service opportunities. 

(Figure 1. Agricultural and Homesteading Educational Publications)


Fun fact about me, I have recently studied abroad in Mpumalanga, South Africa. I was there to learn about different operation systems, sustainability practices, and challenges that are being faced, environmentally in other places of the world. I visited many livestock and crop farms that had different production systems that were made suitable for that environment while also reducing waste and using resources efficiently. This experience provided hands-on exposure to real-world agricultural systems, complementing theoretical learning at both institutions. 

(Figure 2. South Africa Study Abroad highlights )


This internship will also allow me to strengthen important professional and leadership skills that will benefit me throughout my career. Agriculture is a constantly evolving area with new technology and environmental challenges. So it is important for me to stay open-minded and continue learning from experienced professionals, as I am the future of STEM. I believe that gaining hands-on experience is one of the best ways to grow both academically and personally.  In addition, these experiences will help prepare me for a future career in hydrology by creating opportunities and guidance for me to become a knowledgeable and successful professional in many industries surrounding my interest.


Comments