This week included various activities, from visiting a local produce auction to assisting in our county 4-H broiler show. After our weekly connection presentation, I felt I was more aware of how I was interacting in conversation and connecting with the people I was around during the week. Our presenter talked to us about the importance of creating an environment in which our audiences feel confident to participate in programs and interact with us. I feel that this is easiest to do when you and the audience are having fun, or enjoying the topics you are teaching about, and this week served as an excellent example of that.
Tuesday, I spent half of the day at the Countryside Produce Auction, where I was able to see how local produce, flowers, and plants are sold. After spending some time at the auction, we went to look at a local farmer’s high tunnels containing tomatoes. These producers had noticed some yellowing in the leaves of their plants and were hoping for some guidance on how to treat it. After seeing the plants, it was decided that the yellowing was most likely caused by a magnesium deficiency in the soil. Given that this is not something that was affecting the current hanging fruit, it is something that could change their yields in the future. While there, we noticed some hanging fruit that appeared soft or dark in color at the base of the tomato; their first thought was that it was “bottom end rot,” but when examined a little closer, its symptoms were also parallel to Botrytis cinerea. Botrytis cinerea, I learned, is a fungal disease that can affect most plants and is caused by excess moisture or condensation. It is difficult for producers to catch it early because it initially begins in the bloom, but is not visually apparent until the fruit is growing. The planned treatment for this in their tunnels was to remove the affected fruit and add fans to create a better airflow, decreasing the accumulated moisture.
On Wednesday afternoon, I helped prepare for the Garrett County 4-H broiler show. That evening, we had 18 members who brought their birds to be judged. Participants in this project raise and process broiler chickens, then bring them to the contest for judging. This was a new experience for me to help with, and I learned how much goes into this project area.
![]() |
| Madison and I set up at the elementary school. |
I finished my week by assisting with a master gardener-led program at Accident Elementary School. Thursday evening, Madison (Alleghany intern) and I helped students make “seed spirals” that they could take home to watch germinate, then later plant their spirals. Seed spirals are made of two layers of paper towels, soil, and seed. Within this activity, students fold the paper towels in half and cover them with soil, acting as the germination media. Once that is completed, they can choose a seed and roll the paper towel similar to how you would roll a burrito. This activity was super engaging, and it was evident that the elementary kids were excited about planting, but then again, it may have also been that they could play in the soil; either way, it's amazing to see them get engaged with the plant growth process.
This week was a chance for me to implement some of what Arnelle talked to us about at the beginning of the week. I had a chance to ask questions and learn from conversations, and even make a few of my own connections. Being able to work on the produce and plant side of agriculture is something I am looking forward to.

Comments
Post a Comment