Where do I even start talking about this week? So much happened. From the campus residency and getting to meet all the other interns, to touring incredible research facilities, beginning field research, and becoming a 4-H volunteer, Week 3 was definitely one for the books.
My week started as usual with a bit of computer work. I continued analyzing data from the 2025 Winter Meetings completed several cover crop plans for the Extension cover crop grant program. It was really interesting to map out field and cover crop plans, and it gave me a greater appreciation for just how much planning goes into farming. There's no doubt that farmers are busy!
Tuesday was probably my longest day of the week. I traveled with my mentor, Andrew Kness, to the Western Maryland Research and Education Center (WMREC) and the Central Maryland Research and Education Center (CMREC) to help flag field trial plots. These research plots are being used to test fungicide treatments on soybeans and corn. After placing roughly 300 wire flags by hand, collecting a few too many blisters, and getting thoroughly gassed out by the dairy farm, let's just say it was a long—but rewarding—day.
As eventful as Tuesday was, Wednesday and Thursday somehow managed to top it. These were the days of the Workforce Development Internship Campus Residency, where I spent two days on campus participating in trainings and exploring research facilities alongside the other interns. It was also the first time we all got to meet in person, which was a refreshing change after communicating virtually.
My favorite part of the residency was touring the research greenhouse. The facility contains specialized systems capable of replicating nearly any climate on Earth, along with numerous research spaces dedicated to ongoing projects. Seeing the level of technology and research taking place there was fascinating.
We began each day with leadership training sessions led by Antonio Silas, UME Director for Baltimore City, and Myles Alexander of the Maryland Leadership Education and Development Program. Through a variety of engaging activities, we learned about different leadership styles, the importance of communication, and how workplace challenges can arise when expectations are unclear.
One activity that particularly stood out involved a card game. The group was divided into three tables, each with its own set of rules. We were not allowed to talk and had to switch tables every time we won a round. When I moved to a new table after winning, I quickly noticed that the players there seemed to be following different rules than the ones I had been given. To be honest, I thought they were playing incorrectly! Eventually, we learned that each table had intentionally been given slightly different instructions. The activity demonstrated how easily confusion can arise when people operate under different standards or expectations and highlighted the importance of clear communication in the workplace.
I also learned that my leadership style tends to be democratic or coaching-oriented. When leading, I naturally rely on input from the group and often serve more as a moderator or guide than a traditional leader. At the same time, I enjoy helping others learn about topics I am passionate about, which aligns well with a coaching approach. Throughout this internship, I hope to continue seeking the advice and perspectives of others, collaborating on ideas, and learning from those around me to reach the best possible outcomes.
Comments
Post a Comment