Madison Thayer

Hello, my name is Madison Thayer, and I am a WFD Extension Intern at the Allegany County office. I am a rising junior at North Carolina State University, majoring in Chemical Engineering. I am also pursuing a concentration in Sustainable Engineering and a minor in Food Science. With this degree, I hope to develop new technologies in the field of sustainable agriculture and contribute to stronger environmental protection. Through this internship, I hope to gain a better understanding of local food systems and food safety. I look forward to working with the community and teaching others about sustainable agricultural practices. 

Agriculture has always been an important part of my life, as I grew up in an area that heavily relied on agriculture and education for economic development. I also prioritize community engagement and outreach, as I believe that these are some of the best ways to create sustainable, thriving communities. In hearing about this internship opportunity, I knew that this experience would allow me to tie my passion for food science and education with my interest in sustainable agriculture. I chose to pursue this opportunity in order to gain more hands-on experience and learn about the food system in my community.

An image of me at Swallow Falls State Park. I have always enjoyed exploring areas like this and finding new hiking spots in the local area.
An image of me at Swallow Falls State Park in 2023. I have always enjoyed exploring areas like this and finding new hiking spots in the local area.

With my mentor, Sarah Llewellyn (Master Gardener Coordinator and Agricultural and Food Systems Educator), I will be participating in a variety of local programs. First, I have been working with the Master Gardener program in assisting with various workshops. I will also likely be helping with a few container gardening projects in an effort to teach the community about growing plants in small spaces. Throughout this first week, I have gained insight into bat protection efforts in our area through a Master Gardener program, as well as connected with local elementary schools to help plant a garden. In addition, I will be participating in a few courses focused on Food Safety, including workshops on canning and kombucha production. These courses will allow me to practice my food science knowledge in a community setting. While I have not fully settled on a long-term project at this time, I hope to work on a presentation about food safety that can be used at the Allegany County Fair in future years. This presentation will discuss how to appropriately preserve various foods and include other food safety tips, such as potential signs of spoiled foods. This project will allow me to tie together various aspects of my internship, including agriculture, food science, food safety, and education. It will also allow me to make a contribution that can be carried on, even after my internship is finished. 

An image from a sustainable cooking class I planned and led at NC State this semester. This event allowed students to gain hands-on experience and learn more about sustainable cooking practices.


I believe that this internship experience will be very beneficial for helping me reach my personal and educational goals. First, this internship will provide me with the leadership and communication skills I will need as I continue my career. It will also allow me to practice my project development and management skills. With my goal of entering the field of sustainable agriculture, this internship will allow me to gain first-hand experience with those most closely tied to agriculture in my community. It will also allow me to help with educational efforts and share useful information. These connections will become increasingly important as I pursue my career, as they will allow me to make a much greater impact on my community. Overall, I am very excited to begin this internship opportunity, and I look forward to the variety of experiences I will gain during this time. 

Comments