Hello everyone! As we have continued into the second week, I have begun working on more projects and truly learning the impact of Extension. So far, I have been assisting with various school programs, including gardening at George's Creek Elementary and teaching a robotics lesson at John Humbird Elementary. I also went to the Edible Arboretum in Frostburg this Thursday to help a class of 5th graders plant native species in the area. These programs have allowed me to explore different areas of my local community and make a direct impact on students. By bringing applicable information into schools and giving students the opportunity to make new experiences, we are contributing to a happier, healthier community. For some students, these are some of the few opportunities they have to leave the classroom and gain experience with outdoor activities.
![]() |
| An image of me from a robotics lesson taught at John Humbird Elementary. I assisted with this program in an effort to bring STEM education to students who may not otherwise have these opportunities. |
I have also attended various Master Gardener meetings and events, featuring topics such as bats and wildlife preservation. These programs have taught me new information about gardening and wildlife in my area. With the Master Gardeners, I attended an Art in the Schoolyard event in which I helped students and families make seed spirals. These seed spirals can be placed in a windowsill for two weeks in order to germinate, and then they can be directly transferred for easy planting. These community events allow us to connect with local families and advertise our upcoming workshops as well.
Finally, I have been working on a project regarding food safety and food preservation methods. I am currently in the process of gathering data on different canning and freezing methods, as well as the risks associated with improperly preserving foods. After I gather all of the information on these topics, I hope to make a presentation board that can be displayed during the county fair. This resource will give people easy access to basic canning information and more resources if they choose to dive deeper into the subject. This project has allowed me to explore my passion for food science and learn the real-world applications of this subject.
![]() |
| Isabelle and I attended the Art in the Schoolyard event at Accident Elementary. We taught community members to make seed spirals and advertised upcoming Extension programs. |
The Guest Lecture Series presented for this week encouraged me to look back on some of these activities and consider the different perspectives I may have previously overlooked. When working with Extension, it is important to remember that everyone comes from different backgrounds and have different lived experiences. These backgrounds can influence how individuals interact and their participation in Extension programs.
![]() |
| I assisted with a 5th grade class at the Edible Arboretum in Frostburg this week. We were teaching them how to plant native species that promote the growth of pollinator populations. |



Comments
Post a Comment