|
|
My APHA mare Ivy, dog Queenie, and Me! |
I am super excited for this internship as an opportunity to develop my professional and educational skills in extension education. This spring, I graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with a B.S. in Animal and Avian Sciences, and I plan to pursue a master's degree in agricultural extension education this fall. I grew up riding and showing horses, and I've worked with thoroughbreds since high school, (both breeding horses and racing horses) as well as in the rehabilitation of injured sport horses. My career goal is to work in the field of extension education primarily as an equine specialist, but my interests also include small ruminants, pasture management, and youth development. I am also an avid gardener, and I spend much of my free time researching invasive and native plants and wild edibles, growing plants, and working in my garden.
|
| Katahdin/Dorper sheep at WMREC |
Later in the week, on May 28th, I had the opportunity to participate in a pasture walk at Blue Moon Farm in Gaithersburg, MD, led by Amanda Grev. We toured a privately-owned equine farm and had discussions on rotational grazing, pasture management, composting and waste disposal, and watering systems. A variety of people showed up to the pasture walk, ranging from professionals in the field of agriculture to beginner horse and livestock farmers, and it was super interesting to hear their backstories and how they came to be interested in pasture management.
I'm looking forward to a great summer of learning!


Comments
Post a Comment