This week, I finally feel like I have a solid grip on the office routine and expectations. Compared to last week, I had more physical work, which I absolutely love. I won’t lie, I'm pretty sore right now, but at least this outdoor "gym membership" is completely free of charge!
On June 2, 2026, I assisted Suzanne with measuring plant heights and assessing their overall growth status using a 1-to-3 scale (3 for doing well, 2 for struggling, and 1 for dead). We are currently evaluating three types of mulch, crimson clover, plastic, and bio-mulch, to understand their effects on plant establishment and local insect populations.
On June 1st, I visited the Rockville sites with Suzanne, Lisa, and Laura to prep the ground for planting turf with native flower seeds. We brought along a sod-kicker to remove the grass lawn and its roots, but we initially hit a roadblock. Laura struggled to get it moving, which sparked a bit of a panic since the tool had such great reviews, and we weren't entirely sure how to operate it. After some collective brainstorming and plenty of trial and error, I gave it a shot and finally got it to work! With the sod-kicker finally running smoothly, we successfully cleared the lawn to make way for our native seeds.
On June 1st, the whole crew gathered for a photo after finally figuring out how to make the sod-kicker work.
On June 3rd, I spent the day sharpening and swinging a Japanese scythe to clear back dense grain, making room for native meadow species to grow. I also taught Lisa’s daughter, Kate, how to swing it safely and by rotating the workload back and forth, we managed to completely clear our first row.
On June 3, 2026, my work took a rhythmic, old-school turn. I spent time sharpening and preparing a Japanese scythe, then took it to the field to clear out a thick layer of grain. Every swing opens up the area and creates the space necessary for meadow species to break through and establish themselves.
On June 4th, I was invited to attend the first planning meeting for the upcoming Chessie Green conference. It was fascinating to see professionals from different specialties being able to collaborate and select speakers who will inform and advance the scientific community.
A major highlight was connecting with Vanessa Finney, the president of Quercus Management. I had to leave the meeting early, but my mentor, Lisa, shared some incredible news afterward. During my conversation with Vanessa, I mentioned that one of my professors, who is an exceptional speaker, specializes in aquatic toxicology and so on. Even though the committee usually only books an aquatic-focused speaker every other year, Vanessa loved the recommendation. Lisa mentioned that the team discussed looking for an aquatic lecturer during the second half, and Vanessa suggested my professor as a candidate. Lisa and I will reach out to him soon!
This taught me that I have the ability to make an impact, even as an intern. Making these connections doesn’t just add immense value to the project; it’s incredibly rewarding one's professional growth.
I have learned that clear communication is vital for every project. But through it all, the most critical piece is understanding my purpose. As Arnelle reminded us, when the summer gets busy and the workload piles up, it is easy to get caught up in the weeds. Grounding myself in my "why" allows me to keep moving forward. Now, I feel more equipped to navigate team dynamics and show up as a competent professional.
Comments
Post a Comment