Madison Thayer Week 3


    This week was a busy but exciting one, filled with many new experiences and introductions. On Monday, I traveled to Frederick for a Kombucha workshop, in which I learned about how to host a kombucha class for community members. I also attended a meeting regarding assisted living facilities and maintaining a healthy lifestyle as we grow older. We focused on different gardening techniques for older community members, as these practices can be beneficial for both mental and physical health. 

    On Wednesday, my fellow interns and I attended the Campus Research and Residency Tour. While we may have had a rainy start to the trip, this did not bring down our spirits. The first leadership training led by Antonio Silas was a fun introduction for the rest of our activities. In this workshop, we explored different leadership styles and practiced various communication techniques. My main takeaway from this activity was the importance of active listening and asking clarifying questions. While it can be difficult to determine what questions to ask or the appropriate time to ask a question, it is important to make sure that everyone in the office is on the same page. This open communication also creates space for a democratic leadership style in which everyone can feel comfortable sharing ideas and opinions. I hope to inspire a similar leadership technique as I grow into my career. 

    Our next activity was one of my favorite stops on the tour. The fermentation lab was right up my alley, as it allowed me to combine my passion for food science and safety with my interest in chemistry. I found it interesting to learn about all of the different fermentation classes that UMD offers and the various products that they make in the lab. It was also interesting to compare these courses to the way we use fermentation at NC State. While my university has a focus on brewing and food safety as well, we are also researching the use of fermentation with alternative proteins and biomanufacturing. I find it interesting to explore the different uses of fermentation and the individual processes behind each fermentation method.

An image of the indoor chambers at the UMD greenhouse. These chambers allow plants to be kept in a controlled environment. Specifically, this chamber was simulating the winter season for plants.

    For the second half of our first day, we continued to tour various areas of campus. I enjoyed seeing the campus farm, greenhouses, and aquaculture systems. I also found it interesting that so much of the food grown in the greenhouses and aquaponics systems is sent to the dining halls. For example, the Tilapia that is used to feed the plants in the aquaculture system is then sent to the dining halls for consumption. This creates a closed-loop system and a more sustainable dining experience. 

An example of the aquaculture system at UMD. Tilapia are kept in the container below the plants, and their waste is used to feed the plants. Then, the plants and fish are sent to the dining halls for students and faculty.

    After a night filled with board games, we started Thursday morning with our second leadership workshop, led by Myles Alexander. This workshop featured many useful activities, including exercises focused on leadership values, communication, and decision-making. One of the interesting takeaways from this workshop was the importance of communication and diversity in the workplace. In order to be a leader, we must clearly communicate our needs and expectations in the workplace. We must also acknowledge the various backgrounds and perspectives of people we work with, as this influences our shared knowledge and understanding. As demonstrated by a confusing card game activity, we cannot always assume that everyone has the same background information to complete a task. Overall, this was a very interesting workshop that allowed me to think deeper about my leadership abilities.

An image from the campus farm stop on our tour. We learned about the various animals kept on the farm, as well as the opportunities for student involvement.

    While I had to leave the tour early for a prior commitment, I greatly appreciate this experience and all of the presenters we had the opportunity to learn from. I also enjoyed meeting all of my fellow interns and learning about our different activities with Extension.

Comments