WEEK 3, WOW TIME FLIES! - Alexandra Matsumi Ciecwierz

    


On Monday, I completed the Qualtrics task and sent a progress update to Xuan. Then input the remaining data into the survey results sheets for Lisa. Afterward, I met with Xuan to map out tomorrow’s tour schedule. I also assisted Lisa by putting out reflective marking stakes and spent some time figuring out how to design and print out stickers for her. To wrap up scheduling and administrative tasks, I blocked out the designated days on the calendar for the Farmers Market and worked on the tote bag design which will be given to participants who participate in our survey. 

    On Tuesday, I headed out to Seaberry Farm on the Eastern Shore with Xuan, Dave, and Camren (a fellow intern I was so glad to finally meet!). To pass the time during our four-hour drive, I brought along my cross-stitch project to keep my hands busy. It turned out to be such a fun trip, I loved spending time with everyone and finally getting to meet Richard and Wenfei. I learned a lot from them, and since I’m used to seeing typical agricultural and dairy farms, getting to see a floral farm for the first time was a really unique experience. 

 

On Tuesday June 9th, I visited the Seaberry Farm with Xuan, Dave (our camera man), and Camren. 

    The research tour was definitely a unique experience. I wasn't quite sure what to expect at first, but it turned out to be amazing. Not only did I get to do activities and bond with my fellow interns, but I also met the people who help make the UME internship happen. There is so much more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye, and it’s truly inspiring to see Andrea and Shannon’s hard work come together to create such a wonderful opportunity for students in the area. 

    The workshop with Antonio Silas was titled “Leadership, Identity, & Relationships: Creating Your Personal Roadmap to Success.” One line that really stuck with me was when he said, “leaders leverage different things.” This was easily my favorite quote from the session because everyone comes from a different background with their own values and experiences. With that being said, leadership looks different for everyone and can change depending on the setting. There isn't just one correct way to lead, and leadership styles often overlap. It really showed me that you have to be aware of who you are working with and what resources you have to help your team succeed. 

    As for the session with Myles, I'm certain none of his events are ever boring! In this workshop, we learned about establishing a community of practice. After a few fun activities (where you definitely had to read the fine print!), we discussed the importance of being crystal clear about rules, expectations, and procedures. Because people interpret instructions differently and prioritize things in their own way, the biggest takeaway was to ask questions immediately if you're confused rather than letting it build up. In the end, clear communication is everything. 

 

 

Taking a quick selfie with Camren before our fermentation learning workshop. 

    To be honest, a leadership style is a never-ending journey of change; it is constantly affected by who you are with and what you are doing. Based on my current and aspiring leadership, I wish to focus on finding solutions to challenges and opportunities rather than dwelling on the problems. By enhancing communication, service, honesty, and respect, and by fostering self-awareness, accountability, availability, and gratitude towards others, along with a transactional and coaching leadership style, I hope to become the best leader I can be for my community. 

    One of my goals is to be a self-aware leader who grows from criticism. What I could do is practice, at the end of a project or session, explicitly asking my supervisor, "What is one thing I could have done better on this?" 

 

 

On our last day of the conference, I took a quick selfie with Lindsay Barranco, who is a friend of one of my mentors, Lisa Kuder. 

 

 

Comments