I can’t believe it’s already week seven. The highlight of my week was meeting a Texas longhorn cow named Larry. I went to the extension location in Cockeysville to visit Sally Barnes, and she introduced me to Larry, a cow she raised on her farm, whom she decided to bring to extension.
Figures 1 (UMD extension Cockysville location Larry the Texas Long Horn)
We also toured many of the pastures, where we spotted various animals, including a large horse. On this tour, Sally and I also met some others she did not yet know, and they shared what they do at the extension. A major issue that they are facing currently is trying to figure out how to get a water source on other parts of the pasture, with there being lots of hills, issues with the water pump, and electrical problems.
Figures 2 (UMD extension Cockysville location pastures and Meadows)
Within this week, I also visited Lisa Kuder at the Clarksville Extension Facility. While I was there, I was able to spot some cool things like an orange-colored fungus. This type of fungus thrives in moist environments and can be spotted on wood. I was also able to create a flyer with the intention of making it more appealing for the younger crowd. This flyer was for the Maryland Native Plant Society (MNPS) Conference that will showcase student posters.
Figure 3 (UMD extension Ellicott City location insect image )
Many of the skills I have learned will be important later on for academic and career purposes. One of the major skills I have learned is using research-based information to make real-world decisions within agriculture. Understanding the challenges farmers face, changing market conditions, and the economic issues that can arise based on their environmental challenges. I can use these skills to help farmers move away from their fear of AI or technology, adopt sustainable practices within water management, and communicate the available resources within extension and agricultural technologies.
My biggest motivation for continuing my education and future career is the ability to know that I can be one of the people to help the environment and others around me. I am an aspiring hydrologist with dreams of being able to create better water systems and make water available for everyone.
Comments
Post a Comment