Camren Williams - Week 8


I was surprised to learn about how many different resources there are for soil health and how much money goes into helping farmers with their financial issues regarding this topic. Beyond crop growth, the soil is extremely important because it is the land we live on; it is the foundation. For example, soil can filter floodwaters to reduce their impact. The Soil Conservation District's programs are essentially those of a land management company that works to control and prevent soil erosion, minimize flooding, prevent impairment of dams and reservoirs, assist in the maintenance of rivers and harbors, and preserve natural resources and wildlife. These things ensure that communities and farmers are protected from disasters and the major costs that come with them.

This week, I was able to continue my soil respiration experience with Stacy Small-Lorenz. We were able to collect the data. The point of the experiment was to see how active and moist the soil was in different areas. With this information from this experiment, she will have a better understanding of which way the water is flowing, what areas need more water than others, and the energy current that is present. In a way, the concepts that were discussed relate to this experience, which can help preserve natural resources and wildlife.


Figure 1 (Extension location in Ellicott City Meadows)


I also helped out with the Baltimore County 4-H Fair along with several other interns. I was able to see some amazing artwork, creative projects, and exhibits that showcased the hard work and talents of the participants. During my time, I helped children with Q-tip painting, encouraging their creativity and assisting them as they made colorful works of art. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience that allowed me to support the event while engaging with the community.

Figure 2 (Baltimore County 4-H county fair UME tables)



Comments