Wrapped my last week of the internship before fair season starts! Now comes two weeks of running around like a headless chicken for the Talbot County Fair July 9th-11th and the Kent County Fair taking place July 15th-18th.
The week started off in Kent County, I was able to supervise a quilting workshop for some of the 4-Her's that needed to do finishing touches on their quilt entries for the fair. I then helped do some fair prep for member and volunteer cards to send out to families later in the week.
Tuesday was spent at the Queen Anne's County Office, and although my Queen Anne's mentor Jenny Rhodes was out of the office, the rest of the agents at the office made sure to keep me occupied for the day! I was able to help sort a large load of seeds that had been donated for the counties master gardener program. I never realized how many different varieties of just lettuce there were, and I only got halfway through the lettuce seeds before the workday ended, so I'll probably need to continues that task next time I am in the Queen Anne's Office.
![]() |
| Seed Sorting at Queen Anne's County for the Master Gardeners Program |
Wednesday was spent out of the office spending time with some family that came to visit, but more on that later. On Thursday, it was back to Kent County for more fair prep. Me and Beth Hill worked together to prepare mailings to send out to the fair families. In the evening we had Kent County 4-H's annual backdrop painting night. Every year for our fair premium book is voted on by Junior Leadership Council members that best represents the fairs theme. All entries are drawn and submitted by 4-H members, and the chosen drawing is also used for a backdrop in the main show ring at the fair. 4-H members get together at the fairground once a year to paint the backdrop and have it ready for fair. This years fair theme is "4-H: From Barn to Beyond", and the chosen drawing was done by Tirzah Fitch. I helped Beth get everything ready for the event, and once everything started I helped the adults in the group cut out star templates for 4-Her's that attended to write their name on to include on the backdrop. While there, I also used the 4-H programs camera to take photos of the event.
![]() |
| Photography at Kent County 4-H's Backdrop Painting Night |
Over the weekend I was able to celebrate the 4th of July with some special guests. My stepmoms brother and niece came to visit from England and spend time with us. On Tuesday, we did a sunset sailboat ride in Annapolis, and on Wednesday we went on a fishing day in the Chesapeake Bay to catch Rockfish and Catfish. Along with teaching them about local agriculture, and learning what is different in Europe, I also learned more about communicating with others. My stepmoms brother, Bruce, is legally deaf, with extremely limited hearing even with hearing aids. Learning to adjust how I speak in order for him to be able to read my lips easier and keep him involved in conversations has been a much needed experience. If you didn't already know, American Sign Language does not help us much either since it is completely different from British Sign Language, even down to the fundamentals. For instance, the American Sign Language alphabet only uses one hand, while British Sign Language uses both hands for their alphabet. Being with Bruce has made me want to learn more ASL though, to be able to communicate easier with those hard of hearing in America that I may meet later in life.
Unfortunately, Bruce and Grace will be heading back across the sea the day before the Talbot County Fair starts, but they've been able to experience lots of Maryland and American culture over their time spent with us.
![]() |
| Me, Grace, Bruce, and my stepmother Viv on an Annapolis sailboat cruise. |



Comments
Post a Comment