Another week done and the first county fair of the season completed in week 7 of this Summer's internship!
Monday and Tuesday of the week were spent in Kent County, which has now gone fully into fair prep mode. By the time this blog releases, I will probably be helping out at the Kent County Fairgrounds for the Kent County Fair July 15th-18th! I was able to help in getting indoor tags organized, organize our indoor division books, and update the animal show books. Outside of intern work, I spent Sunday helping the two 4-Her's that are showing our cattle get their stall area set up and ready to bring the cattle in either Tuesday evening or early Wednesday morning.
Wednesday brought me to two different counties. Starting out in Queen Anne's County for most of the day, I met with both Mrs. Jenny and Mrs. Lee Ann Schnappige to go over what I have been able to gather for my agritourism resource toolkit so far. They were able to give me some advice on items that should be added or edited to have the document ready when I meet with the Queen Anne's County Department of Economic Development & Tourism in a couple of weeks. I was also able to judge the poster contest for the fair, with posters all made by 4-H members. The winning poster will be used on all promotional material for the county fair!
Moving on to the main item of the week, the Talbot County Fair took place July 9th-11th. On Wednesday while at Queen Anne's County I finished working on a couple more schedule flyers for the daily schedule to release each day of the fair. After finishing up in the office, I went to Talbot County to host the fairs ambassador program. 4-Hers were able to practice their public speaking by speaking in front of fair families, telling everyone a bit about themselves and answering a question selected by them from a variety of options that were given to them.

Hosting the Talbot County Fair's Ambassador Program.
On Thursday, the fair had its Children's Day, which I was able to bring a Highland steer and heifer to. Children who visited and the fairgoers in the afternoon were able to meet Paris and Mac, and learn about Highland Cattle. The main topic focused on was the traits that resulted from their natural selection when the breed developed, the use of their unique hair coat, and the horns. To show the horns use I was able to bring two different skulls, one with the horn shell still attached, and one with the shell taken off the show the inner core made of bone that while still alive would have had nerve endings and blood vessels running through it to allow the cows to both feel using the horn and regulate their temperature by dissipating heat through the horns. While displaying the Highlands, I was able to do a quick interview with Brian Roche of WMDT-47 News about the fair.

Ready to teach fairgoers about Highland Cattle at the Talbot County Fair!
On Friday I was back at the fair, judging the dog show. Although beef cattle are my main focus now, I showed dogs for my entire 4-H career at multiple counties and at the state level. This was my second year judging the fairs dog show, and it was nice to see some new faces and teach the kids more about their dogs projects.
I'm looking forward to another busy week with the Kent County Fair, if you stop by the fair stop and say hi, and if you come on Saturday, be sure to enjoy the BBQ Chicken Dinner I'll be serving up with the Kent County 4-H All Stars!
Comments
Post a Comment