Isabelle Hauser: Week 6!

Week 6 was a little slower but nothing short of fulfilling. This week I spent time preparing materials for education events in the coming weeks.  Madison was in the Garrett office with us on Monday, and we worked together to learn how to extract DNA from a strawberry. This is an activity we will do at our “Jr. Garden Academy” this summer. The focus of this day is for kids to learn about all things gardening, from planting to pollination to how it makes it to their plate. 


Tuesday, my mentor Willie and I spent the Morning at the Countryside Produce Auction in Springs, PA. I spent most of our time there speaking with a producer from Garrett County about their operation and seasonal farm stand that they open for the summer and part of the fall. While we have produce stands across our county, it is always good to have the opportunity to put a face to the operation. 

Kale, Kohlrabi, and zucchini at the produce Auction

The last two days of the week were spent helping at the farmers' market and working on our 4-H engineering events. At the market, I took time to help with the Facebook live for the communications side of things and also uploaded a reel advertising the Fourth of July market. Thursday morning, I put my best foot forward and attempted to tear down the small engine that I had been tasked with making an activity booklet for. After taking off the air filter, casing, and unscrewing 2 of the 3 bolts holding the fuel tank on, I realized I needed to take the fuel line off to get to the third bolt. I was unfortunately unsuccessful in that endeavor and proceeded to put everything back together, and will be trying to accomplish that again to finish the activity sometime during week 7.

Small Engine Project

Through this internship, I feel that I have been able to sharpen my time management skills and also prioritize tasks.

Comments