Isabelle Hauser-Week 7

     Week 7 was a busy one for sure! This week I had my first bit of insight into the family and consumer science side of extension, and then followed up with a few different educational programs. 

    On Monday, we started things off with a tour of one of our county's elementary school kitchens, which they hope will be used to prep food for our schools throughout the next year. This is in conjunction with a farm-to-school grant that will showcase a fruit or vegetable a couple of times a month from a local producer and be served with their lunches. Alongside the lunchtime showcase, teachers will be given training and curriculum to teach their students about what they are eating and also how it benefits them nutritionally. That evening, I assisted in preparing vegetable boxes for the nourishing neighbors program. This program is supported by a local produce co-op but also serves as a resource fair for whoever needs it.  I was able to help in the distribution process as well the next day. 

                                     Nourishing Neighbors distribution, pictured with collaborating resources 

    Wednesday and Thursday, we spent the days learning and teaching about all things fireflies, which, if you didn't know, aren't flies anyway. We spent time with them teaching about different pollinator bugs and how each of them fits into our ecosystem. Using flashlights, the kids learned how each firefly communicates with their friends during the night when we see them all lit up. We also were able to make puddling stations with the kids, where they learned how insects and pollinators need a place to drink. The summer reading programs are a great place to watch these students learn and really take in what we are teaching them. They also received some goodies for being great listeners, which always helps. 

                                                    Firefly workshop with summer reading program

    Extension allows us a multitude of resources and opportunities to learn about things we never thought we would need to know. My experience so far has allowed me to pick up on what plant disease looks like when it may not be the most common in the book. I have taken the opportunity to take in what I can about managing a garden and mostly what not to do if I want to increase my pollinators. This has been an experience to learn about the grant opportunities that are happening within the county that are assisting farmers, youth, or your average community members. With my goal to be an educator, I feel that my most valuable asset is the ability to keep on learning, not only for myself but for my future students who will hopefully be inspired to find ways to keep agriculture on the up and up. 


Comments