Wow, only one more week, though it seems like we only just started
My week started out walking through a corn field, waving flags, and getting some sun. I had the opportunity to travel to the northern side of Garrett County to help cut the design for a corn maze that will open in the fall. This was probably one of my favorite things I have done this summer, and while walking through itchy corn on an 80-degree day does not sound the most appealing, I think it was the people I was around that made it so fun. Using a GPS that laid out the field and mapped out the design, we were able to walk the field and indicate the lines and directions the corn needed to be cut to get their desired design. For most of this process, I was a line marker to help direct the mower, but once we got to the last design, Willie handed me the GPS. I was able to watch the GPS and place everyone to finish this design, though I was reluctant at first because I didn't want to mess up the maze. After getting a bit of sun, I spent the rest of my afternoon/evening helping with poultry testing for the fair. Each bird that is going to be exhibited at the fair is required by the Maryland Department of Agriculture to be tested for both avian influenza and Pullorum Typhoid. We took blood and swabbed geese, ducks, guineas, chickens, and turkeys. My job was to help fill out paperwork and make sure each bird had an identification band assigned to them. This was a new experience and nothing short of fulfilling.
At Nourishing Neighbors this week, I played two roles, helping fill out informational scanners for the participants and also sitting with the extension table. This week Kenzie was helping at numerous events, so I helped her out by setting up her demo table. I was able to talk to some of the participants about the importance of drinking water and also offered up some sun things they could add to make hydrating more fun. I also had the opportunity to share some of the university's nutritional resources, such as food pyramids and recipes. We were able to provide 75 more veggie boxes and resources to a new community in the county, and I truly think it's such a blessing we can provide it.
Wednesday’s adventures led to a short trip to the farmers market to drop off some materials and also just check in to see everyone’s table. It is amazing how much our producers in the community can provide to the public. After this, I traveled to the senior center in town to help Ashley, one of our agents and master gardener coordinator, with an herb program. With the help of a couple of our master gardeners, we were able to show them different herbs and flowers from Ashley's garden. This lesson showed them what each plant looked like, and also how it felt and smelled. We finished the program by letting them make seed spirals that they could take home using lettuce and herb seeds.
I finished my week off by creating identification tests for the tractor driving contest that will happen at the fair and is also part of the engineering events from last week. Then my mentor and I went to visit a farmer to help them set up their label printer for their produce sales. This seemed like a simple task that led to several calls to the help desk that made the printer and a couple of hours of intense brainstorming. We finally were able to get the software downloaded and received confirmation after we left that it started working.
This was overall a fulfilling week that allowed me to make several connections with community members, 4-H, and local Farmers. This next week will bring an intense amount of fair preparation, and I’m excited to be a part of it!


Comments
Post a Comment