Week six was a bit of a slower week, but filled with fun experiences nonetheless. My week started out at the Garrett County office. Here, I continued to work on revisions for my canning presentation and addressed the feedback that I had received on it. In the afternoon, Izzy and I practiced extracting strawberry DNA through a fun experiment with dish soap, water, and rubbing alcohol. We will be doing this activity with elementary school children later this month, so it was helpful to work out the exact process. We also worked on organizing the materials for a few other upcoming events this month.
On Tuesday, I was back at the Allegany County office. I attended a webinar on health insurance literacy. I realized I will need to make my own health insurance decisions soon, which was very eye-opening. I also assisted with entering some of the early fair entries in the afternoon. This was a tedious task, but also a useful introduction to the intensity of planning for a fair.
![]() |
| An image from Ashley's farm. We have been brainstorming how to incorporate agricultural education for this space. |
With Wednesday came a new adventure in the office. Due to a few people being out of the office, I was assigned to work the front desk. I greeted people who called or walked in, even if I didn’t know exactly how to answer their questions. This was a fun switch of tasks and allowed me to learn more about the inner workings of our office. I also attended a Natives At Noon webinar that focused on healing urban and suburban landscapes. This was a very interesting presentation, and I learned a lot about working with our natural systems instead of against them.
![]() |
| A sneak peek of my canning presentation! I still have a few details to add, but I look forward to seeing how we can use it at the fair. |
To end my week, I completed a few other tasks around the office. I began reviewing a financial well-being toolkit for farmers. This is a long document that must be reviewed for any errors or confusing wording. I also worked out a few tweaks with my canning presentation. I created a handout with links to useful sites and additional information. I also started to brainstorm ideas for an interactive display to go along with my presentation.
Overall, I had a lot of office work this week, but I learned many new skills during this time as well. Considering how hot the weather has been recently, I was grateful for the change of pace. I feel like I have finally gotten a grasp on managing my schedule and balancing tasks. These reflections have been very helpful for keeping track of all that I have done and managing my time.


Comments
Post a Comment