Time flies, it's crazy to believe I am sitting down to write my last blog of this internship! Week 9 was a week that while busy, felt like a nice break after two weeks of county fairs.
Monday and Tuesday I was able to do remote work working on sponsor thank you's for the Talbot County Fair and finishing up the draft for my agritourism project in Queen Anne's County. Not only was I recovering at home from the exhaustion after the Kent and Talbot County Fair's, but I also managed to get a small leg infection at the end of the Kent County Fair that I had to care for and keep clean.
Wednesday brought me back to the Kent County Office, getting things reorganized post fair. I was able to work on restocking indoor competition scoresheets for the 2027 Kent County Fair, and organize the indoor projects that were left behind this year into groups to get them returned to their exhibitors.
On Thursday I attended the Maryland Commodity Classic with my mentor Dwayne Joseph. While at the commodity classic I was able to learn about grain bin safety, crop scouting, and crop marketing. Fellow interns Teagan and Alexandra got to volunteer along with me to practice a grain entrapment rescue. Thank you Teagan for volunteering to be stuck in the grain, Alexandra and I were able to work together to piece together the rescue tube and work the rescue auger. Seeing first hand how quick and easily someone can be entrapped by grain, and the effort that goes into a rescue operation makes me appreciative of our local first responders trained to respond to grain entrapments, and make me much more conscious of the safety measures that should be in place to prevent becoming entrapped in grain, and to make rescue operation easier for first responders.

A Successful Rescue Operation at the Maryland Commodity Classic with Alexandra and Teagan.
On Friday I returned back to the Kent County Office to work more on getting Indoor Projects and Score Sheets returned to exhibitors, and help with labeling seeds for the Kent County Master Gardeners Program. The highlight of the day was going with Beth Hill to do her blender bike teaching lesson with the kids at the Horizon's Summer Program. We were able to teach kids about physics by showing how kids pedaled, leading to the bike chain moving the front tire of the bike, which moved a cog that was attached to the blender blades to make the blender work. We made smoothies using the blender bike, the kids each got to take turns on the bike to help blend their smoothies, and enjoyed drinking them afterwards.
| Doing a lesson with the blender bike making smoothies for the Horizon's Summer Program kids. |
Although not technically something the took place in week 9, as of writing this I just completed the presentation of my agritourism project to representatives of Queen Anne's Counties Planning & Zoning, Economic Development, and Marketing Departments. We were able to go over the draft I've compiled to start moving forward and create a finalized version of the resource toolkit as a pathway into expanding the counties agritourism sector.
![]() |
| Speaking with QAC Representative's in Planning & Zoning, Economic Development, and Marketing |

Comments
Post a Comment