Holly Greenberg - Week 9

 Week 9! It is crazy to think this experience is almost over. This week, no different than any other, was just as amazing and full of new opportunities. Honestly, it may be one of my favorites so far.

Monday was a full day at CMREC, beginning with the weekly connection. We focused on cultural competencies and the potential for our career paths to overlap with exploring different cultures. I really enjoyed hearing from Anna Glenn as she discussed her experience working and living abroad. After our meeting, Laura, Suzanne, and I worked on removing large rocks from our new research plot; it was surprisingly rocky. The day ended with our final pest scouting of the Matricaria and Snapdragon trials. I also got to pet a few more of the cows! 

This is me with the rock collection and petting one of the dairy cows.

On Tuesday, Suzanne and I collected data on the Crape Myrtles and the native flower sod in Rockville. I spent the afternoon finishing my presentation for the IPM Scouting Event the next day. 

This is the group that brought samples to the IPM Scouting Event. 

Wednesday was a great day! We had a great crowd for the Scouting Event with many samples to be diagnosed. It was nice to see familiar faces from all throughout the summer. I presented on the tarnished plant bug, a damaging pest of cut flowers that decreases marketability. It went really well, and I received useful feedback that I can apply to future presentations! 

Thursday was my favorite day of the week. Dave, Laura, and I headed to the Penn State Southeast Agriculture Research and Extension Center for the Flower Trials. It was amazing to see so many different varieties of decorative flowers. My favorites were the strawflowers and the double Superbells Magic ‘Double Grapefruit’. We were planning new ideas for future cut flower research at CMREC! It was interesting to hear about how the different cultivars perform against the climate in Manheim. 

This is Dave, Laura, and me at the Penn State Flower Trials.

Friday was Box Tree Moth Day. I headed to check our two sites in Western MD but found no signs, as they are between generations. I am hoping I get the privilege of finding more eggs one last time before the internship ends!


Comments