Week 9, CLOSE TO THE FINISH LINE- Alexandra Matsumi Ciecwierz

 Working with communities, whether right around the corner or halfway across the world, really comes down to human connection. In my internship, keeping a global mindset has been a huge gamechanger.

This past week was packed with inspiring insights! We learned from Guest Agent Anna Mae Glenn on international agriculture and adaptability, while Taryn Devereux (GW Global Food Institute) showed us how to map food systems and bridge global ideas with local action.

A big takeaway: real impact happens when we step back and realize community members are the true experts in their own lives. Building cross-cultural competency takes time, active listening, and a willingness to adapt. Feeling energized and ready to dive into our next projects!

The following Monday was a usual office day it consisted of attending our weekly meeting, meeting up with mentors to make a plan, and continuing work on the paper version of our survey. We also checked up on our stilt grass study to monitor its progress.

On Tuesday, I was able to meet with Xuan for our weekly meeting to go over details and reminders. I also worked on making my end-of-internship presentation script to practice for later, worked on UMERS to input data for Lisa’s Native at Noon program, and talked to Dave to decide when to spot-treat dock between the bio-hedge plants.

I also put up poles with caution tape so that the mowers would not mow our native plant meadow, added the sign-up link for Xuan's tax webinar survey, and confirmed with Miri that the plant I will be cutting next week is ragweed. I was able to submit my travel expenses on Concur and observe a thesis defense by one of Xuan's master's students, Rachel Franceschi. There were some technical difficulties which we were all able to resolve prior to the start of her presentation. However, due to those technical difficulties, Rachel ended up using my computer during her presentation. I was so happy to be able to help her on her big day! Luckily, everything went smoothly from there, and she passed! Congratulations! If you are reading this, I wish you nothing but the best in your future!

On Wednesday, I was able to meet with Lisa in the morning before her travels to see how my script was looking so far, and it seems we are heading in the right direction. I went outside with Emily to weed-cut some plants in our native meadow, continued working on Xuan's paper survey project, and worked on UMERS.

On Thursday, I attended the Maryland Commodity Classic 2026 hosted by the Maryland Grain Producers Association. I was very fortunate to be able to carpool part of the way with Teagan and her mentor. It was nice to see Teagan, Casey, and Jonathan there as well. I will say, Jonathan totally missed out on the fun by not participating in saving a victim (Teagan) from a grain bin entrapment! Along with that, I was able to view a few lectures and make a few connections by visiting a few tables. It was such a pleasure meeting everyone, and I look forward to getting in contact with the individuals I met.

On Friday, I teleworked from home, continuing to work on the paper version of the survey and other assignments I was given that day.

A small note to my readers: Thank you so much for following little miss me during these past few weeks. I know that I am only in my 20s and still have a lot to figure out, but throughout this internship, I can for sure say it was anything but boring. There was always something to do or to learn. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog posts; I hope you had as much fun reading them as I had experienced them. I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your week!



Group photo with Teagan and Casey at Commodity Classics.

Rescuing Teagan!



Our Meadow prepped before mowing.

Check up on our stilt grass study location.

Comments